Pachino (Puortupalu in Sicilian) is an Italian town of 3,695 inhabitants in the province of Syracuse in Sicily. The town is 58 miles from Syracuse and is the most southern island of Sicily (below the parallel of Tunis). Its territory includes the island of Capo Passero a few tens of meters from the mainland and the island of the Tides a few kilometers. It is mainly an agricultural center and maritime activities and on these bases its economic fortunes. The village is bathed by two seas: the Ionian Sea and the Mediterranean. On the Ionian sea once stood the small port where they are still present, although almost falling, the houses of the fishermen. To the east stands the Island of Capo Passero where stands the Spanish fortress dominated by an imposing bronze statue of the Madonna. In the township, near the lighthouse of the Navy from 1929 homonymous location lies the weather station Cozzo Spadaro, officially recognized by the World Meteorological Organization and managed by the National Weather Service. The territory now comprising Portopalo was inhabited since ancient times. The village was named in several ways: initially Cape Pachino, following Terra Noble and finally Porto Palo. The founder of Portopalo is Don Gaetano Deodato Moncada, that they interested since 1778 and that in 1792 he built at his own expense a hundred houses around the trap. The first town was made up of about 300 people, including farmers, herders and fishermen. Until 1812, when it was abolished feudalism, was Portopalo village suburb of Noto. Then passed under the decurionato Pachino, until in 1974 it became an independent municipality by Dr. Salvatore Gozzo, medical and politico.L’autonomia the country, who in the meantime had taken the full name of Pachino, was approved in the the Regional Assembly, with regional law n.1 of 01/03/1975. In 1936, as a result of the census, was inhabited by 1,710 people, arranged in small houses along the Via Vittorio Emanuele, and was presented as a quiet country village. Most of the houses were white and chapped from the sun and salt. In almost all had a small gap (‘u bagghiu) used as a stable, where it was also possible to grow a small vegetable garden. In the country there was a water supply that would provide water to homes: women were then forced to wash clothes, to go to the well in the castle town of Bruno Belmonte (now Tafuri). The life of portopalesi consumed by day in the fields and in the evening the sea, alcianciolo, to supplement income.